The Mijas Town Register (Padrón)

The Mijas Town Register (Padrón)

We express the wish that our members who are resident here in Spain are also legal and registered with the local Padrón. The information provided at registration is confidential and protected by data protection laws.

The Padrón is a population count for a particular town such as Mijas. Officially all residents in Spain are required by law to register on the padrón, yet many still have not done so. The padrón is the way the Town Hall knows how many people live in their area without entering into investigations as to a person’s official residence status or financial affairs.

How is the Information Used?

Better public services: The Central Government allocates money to the different municipalities according to how many people are on the Padrón. Therefore, if you are not registered, your town hall is losing money for the provision of health centres / doctors, police officers, fire fighters, schools, roads, parks and gardens.

Access to benefits and social care: Once registered on the Padrón for a certain period of time, you are entitled to some income-related benefits and other aspects of social care available through social services at your Town Hall. Other benefits include discounted courses, leisure and cultural activities run by the Town Hall.

Right to vote: In order to register to vote in local or European elections, you must first be registered on the Padrón, as this is where the Census office in Malaga get their information to make up the electoral roles. If you wish to vote, make sure when you register that you ask for the form to apply to vote in electoral procedures.

Day to day life: Because this document is your official proof of address, you will need your Padrón certificate to carry out almost any administrative task, such as registering for healthcare, opening a bank account, enrolling your children for Spanish schools, registering your car with Spanish number plates or buying a car in your name, or any procedure carried out at the Traffic Headquarters etc…

Required Documents for your application

  • Original passport and photocopy.
  • If you have either your N.I.E number or Certificate of Residence, it is recommended to take this also, along with a photocopy.
  • Proof of ownership of property and a photocopy (either your title deeds or a rates receipt in your name).
  • If you do not own property and are renting, the rental contract in Spanish and a photocopy. Owner proof of being registered on the Padrón.
  • If you don’t own property and you are not renting, you have to come with the owner of the dwelling in order for him to sign the registration form authorizing you to register at the property.
  • All family members over the age of 18 have to sign the registration form in person. For minors the family book or birth certificates and passport have to be presented; the registration can be signed by parents.
Come to the Mijas Town Hall or the Branch Offices in La Cala or Las Lagunas with the above documents and the procedure will take approximately
10 minutes. You will be issued with a certificate of registration (Certificado de Empadronamiento) that will have your name, NIE number and address on it. This certificate is valid for 3 months but will be issued again upon request.
Please Note: It is very important if you leave Spain to live in another country or move to another municipal, that you go to the Town Hall and inform them so that you will be taken off the padrón.


The Town Hall will send you a notification if and when renewal is necessary. Usually it is 2 years if you registered with a NIE certificate and 5 years if you registered with your residence certificate.

The Foreigners Department of the Town Hall in La Cala de Mijas.

Information given on this page is provided by the Foreigners Department and is available as an information leaflet



Tenencia de Alcaldía de La Cala, Bulevar de La Cala 45, 29649 Mijas Costa, Málaga

Tel: 952 58 90 10, Fax: 952 58 90 11, email: